Best of Back in Skinny Jeans: Originally posted May 5, 2008 in my food blog Noshtopia when I did a 7 day gluten free vegan reboot experiment.
Note: I am not vegan nor 100% gluten free but I do enjoy many vegan and gluten free dishes because:
1. I have a type II milk allergy so the dairy free options of vegan foods are great.
2. I like to experiment with eating and cooking using other types of flours like spelt, rice, and other gluten free options.
3. I'm tired of plain old steamed spinach and broccoli like you see in many "diet" food meals. Vegan recipes are very creative in the use of vegetables and grains.
Happy Cinco de Mayo! For the next 7 days, I'm going gluten free vegan for my "Great Food Reboot Experiment", but that doesn't mean there aren't a bunch of Mexican themed delights that can't be enjoyed like Margaritas which is basically salt, booze, and lime. Here are some other vegan and gluten friendly eats you can enjoy this Cinco de Mayo:
- Corn tortilla chips
- Plantain Chips [About.com]
- Mojito Guacamole with Cassava Chips [Noshtopia]
- Spicy Tortilla Soup [Spice Island Vegan]
- Tomatilla Salsa Verde [Back in Skinny Jeans]
- Chile Rellenos stuffed with brown rice [Vegan Food]
- Gluten Free Churros. To make it vegan replace the milk with a soy or rice milk [Gluten Free Guru]
- Horchata - rice based [Food Network]
Update: Some sweet & sour mixes can have egg in them as a foaming agent so be sure to ask the bartender. If you're making drinks at home, here's a recipe for vegan friendly sweet & sour mix. [The Vegan Wolf]